Brent Carers’ Centre is an independent Charity and Company Limited by Guarantee.
We have been supporting unpaid adult and young carers since 1994. Our vision is: “To ensure that unpaid carers are recognised, valued and supported to live rather than just exist.”
Being a carer is not something that people choose, they do it because they find themselves in a situation where their loved ones, cannot manage without their help and support. Carers care for a member of their family or a close friend who becomes ill, frail, has a mental health condition, a disability or suffers from an addiction. Carers often fall into financial hard-ship if they have to give up their jobs to care full-time. They become unable to look after their own health and wellbeing as a result of their demanding carer’s role. When a carers’ own health deteriorates or they reach breaking point, this can have a serious impact on them, their families, as well as the economy. Let’s not forget Young carers, as they are particularly vulnerable. They are very difficult to identify as they need additional support to understand they are carer and encouragement to come forward for support.
We currently have over 7,000 carers registered with us, with the numbers growing every quarter.
It is estimated that in the borough of Brent there are over 31,000 carers.
- There are around 7 million Carers in the UK – that is 1 in 10 people and rising
- 3 in 5 people will be Carers at some point in their lives in the UK
- Out of the UK’s Carers, approx. 42% of Carers are men and 58% are women
- The economic value of the contribution made by Carers in the UK is £132bn a year, almost equivalent to the cost of the entire NHS in the UK
- By 2030, the number of Carers will increase by 3.4 million (around 60%).
Brent Carers Centre deliver a holistic range of support services to address the social, emotional and financial issues that carers experience.