A new guide to help Parent Carers support their child as they approach adulthood, has been launched by Brent Council. Written in partnership with Brent Parent Carer Forum, the booklet is for parents/carers of young people aged 0 to 25 who have an education, health and care plan, or those without a plan who receive additional support in school. It has information and advice about:
- Post-16 pathways that can lead to employment, higher education or training
- How to prepare young people for independent living
- Local housing options, including housing benefits and social care support
- Continuing care services that can support young people as they move into adulthood
- How to support young people to participate in society, maintain friendships and take part in activities
- Lifestyle choices, based on young peoples’ interests and personal requests
- Welfare benefits, personal budgets and direct payments
- Useful contacts and websites.
To download a PDF copy of the guide click here.