As a carer we understand that you want to make sure the person you are looking after is receiving the benefits they are entitled to.  This page explains some of the state benefits managed and paid by central government available to people who are either disabled or incapacitated by an illness.

Please note this list of benefits is not exhaustive. Depending on the personal circumstances of the person you care for it may be that they are entitled to other benefits, and as mentioned at the bottom of the page it is always advisable to check.

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is a benefit for people aged 65 and over who need help to look after themselves during the day or night (or both) as a result of a physical or mental disability for at least 6 months.  Attendance Allowance is paid at two different rates depending on the level of care the person you care for needs.

For further information click here, or you can telephone the government’s “Attendance Allowance Helpline” on 0345 605 6055 (Mon. – Fri., 8am – 6pm) or email:

To download a copy of Carers UK’s factsheet entitled “Attendance Allowanceclick here.


Disability Living Allowance for Adults

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for adults is gradually being replaced by Personal Independence Payment.

If the person you are caring for is still receiving DLA you can find the latest benefit rates by clicking here, or you can telephone the government’s “Disability Benefits Helpline” on 0845 712 3456 (Mon. – Fri., 8am – 6pm) or email:

Disability Living Allowance for Children

Disability Living Allowance is a tax-free benefit for children under 16 who need help with personal care and with getting around because of a long-term illness or disability.

For further information click here, or you can telephone the government’s “Disability Benefits Helpline” on 0845 712 3456 (Mon. – Fri., 8am – 6pm) or email:

Disability & Illness Benefits page - Carers UK DLA for children factsheet image 80 x 99To download a copy of Carers UK’s factsheet entitled “Disability Living Allowance for children aged 16 and under” click here.


Employment and Support Allowance

If the person you care for cannot work because of illness or disability they may be able to claim for Employment and Support Allowance.  To apply the person you care for must go to a “Work Capability Assessment”.  For further information click here.

Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit for people aged between 16 and 64 (inclusive) who need help in participating in everyday life.  PIP has replaced Disability Living Allowance for eligible claimants from 8 April 2013.

PIP is based on an assessment of the individual’s needs rather than the impairment.  The assessments will look at how the individual’s disability/condition affects their daily living, looking at their ability to carry out a range of everyday activities.

As part of the application process most people will be asked to attend a face-to-face consultation with an independent health professional, where they will be asked questions about their circumstances, health condition or disability and how these affect their everyday life.

For further information click here, or you can telephone the government’s “PIP Helpline” on 0845 850 3322 (Mon. – Fri., 8am – 6pm).

Disability & Illness Benefits page - Carers UK PIP factsheet image 80 x 99To download a copy of Carers UK’s factsheet entitled “Personal Independence Payment” click here.



We understand the rules relating to benefits are complicated, and if you need any help please Contact Us.  We are here to help.

In addition to the services offered by Brent Carers Centre there are a number of other local and national voluntary organisations that will help.  You can find a detailed list on our Local Services page (selecting the filter option “Money, Benefits & Debt Counselling”).  Here are just a few:

Carers of Older People and Older Carers Page - Age UK Brent image 80 x 43If you are an older carer or care for an older person Age UK Brent offer advice on claiming benefits, etc.  For details of their services click here.

Carers Benefits Page - Brent CAB image 80 xOffer a Benefit Claims Service to help people navigate the complex welfare benefits system.  For more details click here.

Carers Benefits Page - Turn2us image 80 xTurn2us is a charity that helps people in financial need to access welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help, and you can use their online Benefits Calculator and a Grants Search facility.
Click here to use the online Turn2us Benefits Calculator.
Click here to use the online Turn2us Grants Search Facility.

Other Financial Help

To find out what other help and assistance is available for both carers and the cared for have a look at our Other Financial Help page.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *